[TriLUG] Compliments to David Zeuthen for Disk Utility

John Brier johnbrier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 21:47:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Tim Jowers <timjowers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just brought up the "Disk Utility" in Fedora. This is really, really good.
> It actually helps you determine what is wrong with the disks. Seems to me
> mounting disks vertically (on their side) is a bad idea as I have a failing
> Seagate and a failing Maxtor whereas other disks which I've had horizontal
> (normal mounting) are lasting longer (4+ years). Bad sectors at about 4
> years.

FWIW a lot of the information (all?) about the SMART status of drives
can be seen from the command line utility smartctl. One of the most
important ones is the "Reallocated Sector Count" According to a friend
of mine it counts as a failure in the drive for most manufacturers and
indicates that it's starting to die:

http://nordic-pc.com/node/420

I'm the first comment in there, my seagate never got any worse, but I
could probably RMA it.

I do agree that Disk Utility is pretty bad ass. Looks like Red Hat
engineers created it. woah I just noticed it creates raid arrays too.
nice!

JB