[TriLUG] VoIP for 125 users

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Oct 14 21:36:38 EDT 2010

You can look at sipXecs, which was backed by nortel, and sold by nortel.  Avaya has picked up the remnants,  and will be releasing a product on it.  I was really not impressed with Avaya or there local people when I had to deal with them at a previous job.  Most of the commercial systems I looked at are old pbx/key systems and voip is just an bolt on and really do not seem to be done well.  SipXecs (http://www.sipfoundry.org)  has forked from the Avaya build and there is a company Euze, that is sponsoring it and doing development work.  You can get commercial support from them, so it's not like you're just downloading asterisk/trixbox etc.  Of course you can get commercial support for Asterisk and Trixbox as well. I run Trixbox at my current job, and there things I like and things I dislike about it.   The more I use Trixbox, the less I like it specifically.     Trixbox is Asterisk plus FreePBX 2 with Trixbox addons hacked on top.  FreePBX 3 has forked and is under a new name.  This kinda makes Trixbox less appealing in the long run.   What I really like about sipx/sipfoundry is that they are really implementing sip correctly or appear to be.   This allows them to use proxy's and SBC's and not make a B2BUA like asterisk do the wrong type of work.  The sipfoundry architecture is just a much better design.  You can't even set the product up without doing DNS correctly for sip uri dialing.  Plus they have basic clustering/ldap/ and jabber support out of the box.  I have a test box right now, and hope to eventually replace trixbox/asterisk at work with it.

If you are going to roll you own or use a FOSS solution (Again commercial support is available and may get you past the PHB's) I would recommend Polycom phones over Cisco's or Snoms or Astara's.  Polycom seems to be trying hard to make  a SIP compliant phone.

If you need more help or have questions feel free to ping me off list.

Matt P.