[TriLUG] OT What local tv service do you use with your mythtv?

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 08:50:07 EDT 2010

I'm really satisfied with MythTV and TWC basic.  It still seems
expensive to me for what I get, but it costs less if that makes any
sense.  We have more than enough TV than we can watch on a 500GB
partition.  Just a few shows on Nick, CN and Disney fills the drive
pretty fast and the mildly more adult fare fills up the rest and keeps
us entertained.  When we really want to see something not recorded we
just turn to YouTube or network web sites.  We also have a Wii for
Netflix Streaming and that rounds out the premium channel needs a la
carte.

There's much more we could do with it but it's easy for me to support,
easy for the family to use and it satisfies the cheap b'tard in me.
Fortunately we haven't made the leap to HD so we don't know what we're
missing yet :)

sean

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Mark Kempster <mark at kempster.org> wrote:
> I used a tivo with time-warner basic cable for years. I added a mythtv
> near the end, and then about a year ago switched to Uverse.
>
> It's a fine service, but we've had trouble with the hardware (nothing
> a tech and service call couldn't handle) half a dozen times, we have a
> finicky second unit, the tech guys all seem to do something different
> to 'fix' whatever's the problem, and the price could be better.
>
> The latest hurdle that I haven't overcome is some way to copy a show
> I've recorded onto my laptop for watching elsewhere. From the purist's
> side of me, the fact that the set-top boxes run some flavor of windows
> just doesn't sit very well. The UI isn't the easiest to use, and there
> have even been some comments from my wife that some things were easier
> on the tivo and the myth.
>
> I'm just not as thrilled with the whole deal as I was hoping for, and
> I'm considering the switch to another service that will let me use my
> mythtv again. I'd like to stay legal and with a 'normal' tv stream -
> I'm not ready to make the leap of buying or downloading every show the
> family wants to watch.
>
> If you're using mythtv, what local service to you use it with?
>
> Thanks for your advice and input.
> Mark
> --
> This message was sent to: Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com>

"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso