[TriLUG] OT What local tv service do you use with your mythtv?

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Fri Oct 15 10:52:41 EDT 2010

Thanks all for the input!

I was under the impression that one couldn't use mythtv (or perhaps
more precisely, the tuner cards) to read a signal off the wire and
create a video file without some magic box from the provider, be it
from ATT or TW digital. Obviously, I need to do some reading there.

I'd like to have a single home server that'll do regular ol' backups,
tv recording, and download-from-the-interwebs for playback on the tv
(I dislike plugging in my laptop). My grand plan was to run mythtv
with a bunch of recording tuners, and decouple that from other players
in the house (not so with Uverse - they give you 4, but everything you
do whether it's recording, watching, watching in another room, takes a
slot. It's quick to run out of slots on a busy evening.)

One of my big fears was losing the
multi-channel-without-provider-hardware feature of lowbrow TW Basic
when I switched to any of the digital providers, but perhaps I need to
re-evaluate that again.

Thanks for the info.
Mark