[TriLUG] OT: cheap mobile stream playing?

Matt O'Bryant mattobryant at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 15:29:47 EDT 2010

Any Android based phone or Iphone OS based device (phone, pad, touch) should
be able to run the free Last.fm app, as well as any number of other music
streaming apps, plus apps that stream music from your home computer, and of
course music stored directly on your device -- and a few will even play FM
radio.  Such an option is clearly out of your $30 budget, but you'd probably
thank yourself in the long run.

Most such options will, however work on wifi without out a cell phone
contract.  My suggestion, if you're really sleuthy, would be to turn up
someone looking to part ways with a used, older model Android phone for dirt
cheap, and just use it as a music player.

The big advantage of this system, where you would really thank yourself, is
being able to adjust playback from the device you have on you, and not have
to travel back to your computer if you want to listen to something new (such
as if using wireless headphones).  It would also be more portable you
wouldn't be dependent on some setup that only works at your home base.  You
could take it to work, or anywhere else you have access to wifi (relative's
house over the holidays, etc) and listen to music stored on the phone or
ipod touch when not within range of wifi.

Matt