[TriLUG] Netbook

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Fri Oct 22 05:18:35 EDT 2010

There was a thread on tek-tips.com a few months back on this subject
here: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1560269.

In addition to the usual pricing discussion, there is one thing that I
would like to add from personal experience.  By default, it would
probably have what is called the netbook remix.  After purchasing a
netbook (Acer) for my wife, which came with win 7, I dual booted it with
the Ubuntu netbook edition.  It seems to be optimized for the small
display and it may be compiled to be a little more 'light weight' in
terms of processing.  Personally, I found it to be annoying to use as I
thought it felt highly menu driven and I always felt like I was fighting
the machine to do what I wanted it to do.  I dumped the netbook edition
and put afull copy of 10.04 on it, which seems to run perfectly and has
been running since May.  It runs a little slower than a conventional
laptop or desktop and some applications, ones that requires a lot of
number crunching, are noticeably slower, but overall I don't have any
complaints with it.

I did take advantage of the USB boot to try out a "live CD" since it
doesn't have an optical drive built in.  You might want to try this
first.  You may even be able to pull that one off at the store on the
demo.