[TriLUG] Dual-homed Internet?

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:32:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Paul Bennett <paul.w.bennett at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, because she works from home, we're going to be replacing one of the
> DSL lines with a T1, in order to get stability, guaranteed ping, and
> guaranteed uptime.

Just out of curiosity, what's that going to cost? And, generally
speaking, where do you live? Did you consider business-class DSL or
cable modem service as alternatives? Either of those might get you to
a reliability number where you don't feel like you need the backup DSL
any more.

(oh, and T-1's might come with 'guaranteed uptime', which does get you
monitored service and priority repair, but the bottom line is just
that the telco will refund you for the time you're down)

Also, what are you planning to plug the T-1 circuit into? (outside the
asterisk community, I don't recall seeing too many T-1 cards for x86
sorts of PCs). Depending on the answer to this question, you might
consider buying a commercial router.

I'll second the recommendations for pfsense, and the idea that you
don't need fast hardware--you're only talking about passing ~3Mb/s,
which doesn't really require much processing power.

--
Heath Roberts
htroberts at gmail.com