[TriLUG] Dual-homed Internet?

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 18:12:17 EDT 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:32:35 -0400, Heath Roberts <htroberts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what's that going to cost?

My wife runs a non-profit org, and managed to flex her non-profit org mojo
apparently very effectively in negotiating a much more reasonable price
than I was expecting. It's still definitely in the "business class" price
range, but it's livable. Think "car payment" rather than "house payment",
to give a ballpark.

> Also, what are you planning to plug the T-1 circuit into? (outside the
> asterisk community, I don't recall seeing too many T-1 cards for x86
> sorts of PCs). Depending on the answer to this question, you might
> consider buying a commercial router.

The service comes with a Samsung Ubigate router. I've been considering
reading up on how to configure that to handle all our needs (it has 2
Ethernet ports, and it claims to be a fully-featured fw/router, so it
might just be possible to point one of those Ethernet ports at the DSL
modem), but where's the fun in that? I'd much rather get elbow-deep in
some real Linux action than grovel through documentation designed for
someone who has spent $Ks on single-purpose certification.

--
Paul