[TriLUG] Linux(RedHat) kernel question(long/involved)

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Wed Oct 27 14:34:05 EDT 2010

Well, load average doesn't necessarily measure "total CPU time"... it
measures how many jobs are in the queue to be run at the present moment.

That includes I/O wait time. So it's entirely possible that your cluster
jobs are sitting in the run queue waiting to be served data they've
requested, and that your CPUs are idle. That is to say, the latency on
NFS requests/replies to/from the SATAbeast boxes could be holding you up.

I would recommend a day or two of sar(1) stats in order to better
quantify your problem. Also perhaps a better understanding of the sort
of I/O necessary for the jobs to be carried out could be useful. Big
sequential reads? Lots of little random I/O?

If you haven't yet, I'd go down that route before digging into the Linux
kernel's scheduler.

--bak