[TriLUG] Question on AT&T DSL Extreme 6.0

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Nov 12 19:46:51 EST 2010

Hook a NAT router to your DSL line, and you can use your
normal 20-some-odd computers behind the NAT.  They do
not enforce this, nor would they even be able to.

I would guess that their DSL model does DHCP for up to
four machines, and thus the limit.

Note that AT&T routinely blocks port 25 in and out, unless
the traffic is going to their SMTP gateway.

If you're REALLY concerned about the ISP's limits on number
of machines, blocking of ports, or other snooping, get a
cheap virtual private server (like www.burst.net/vps.shtml
or www.WEBKEEPERS.com) and tunnel all of your home
traffic to that machine.  You'd just be using AT&T as a direct
pipe to that one machine.

No, I am not that paranoid... but I am not far from it.

Alan
BS/AT&T DSL user since 2002

.