[TriLUG] OT: Earthlink and ISPs

Amnon amnon at deltaforce.net
Tue Nov 30 10:23:48 EST 2010

I've got to jump in here too and add my two cent worth.

I've been with Earthlink cable for years too.  But in the last year they were having so much trouble, I switched to RR.

1.  Their speed would hardly get over 2Mbits on the download.
2.  Their customer service is horrible (I don't speak Hindi).
3.  The straw that broke the camel's back was when I could't use my own mail server any more to send mail out, because we do reverse
and forward DNS lookups.  My IP's from Earthlink did not return anything on the forward, said such host does not exist.  Spent hours
(maybe days all together) trying to explain to them that it should be a simple fix, but no one understood.  Back and forth between
them and RR, a RR rep finally asked me why don't I switch to RR and see how it works out.  Sure, why not, as long as it is the same
price I said.  They switched me for the same price, speeds were above 15Mbits, and I could use my own mail server again.  happy,
right?  Well, after a while the speeds in the evening went below 1mbit.  I talked with them a couple of times, and when nothing was
done, I called and told them that even though we have a "price Lock" for two years, I give them a week to fix it, and unless they
give me what I am paying for, I see no way that they can hold me to the agreement.  They told me to call tech support, I told them
NO!, have tech support call me, because I do not have hours to waste on hold.  Never heard back, but, "somehow" the speeds suddenly
went way up all through the day :-)  (I just checked and it is 19.7Mbits)

Am I happy with RR?  No, but it works (so far).

P.S.  AT&T just installed new equipment across our driveway.  U-verse is here :-)

Shalom Y'all
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce
919-852-2121
http://www.deltaforce.net

Host, Computers 2K Now
Sundays, 8-9AM on WKIX AM850 in Raleigh NC, and on Ustream
10-11AM on Ustream, http://www.ustream.tv/channel/computers2know
http://www.computers2know.com

My MV stuff is at:
  http://www.deltaforce.net/deuce/