[TriLUG] redundant job postings

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Dec 9 08:55:15 EST 2010

I went to the jobs section in craigslist last night to find
many of the jobs that I've seen posted here. I thought that
the postings here were somehow unique to this list (although
I hadn't thought about what might qualify as unique). I now
see that many of the job postings here are dupes of postings
elsewhere, which could be better handled by a link to the
original posting.

I think it's good to know about jobs, and I think links to
Linux related jobs are a reasonable use of this list, but a
posting here should be on the basis that it has something
unique to this list like

"I work here/I know the person you'll report to, and I
recommend this job" or "I wouldn't work here in a million
years".

Of more interest to me would be a list of places to look for
jobs and how to handle job applications. eg one of the
postings wanted to know my current salary. That is between
me and the IRS and is none of their business. Craigslist
makes you read a page of pitfalls/scams that you might
encounter, before it lets you see the job postings. There
must be enough experience in this group in applying for jobs
that we could have a similar page on trilug.org

Joe