[TriLUG] OT: Windows Help - Please No Flames

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Jan 10 11:47:31 EST 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Here's the synopsis of what I
did to fix the issue:

A friend had tried to help our pastor. He had installed and then started
a removal of the Comodo Firewall but cancelled the removal part of the
way through. This left the registry hooks for the firewall in the
registry, and corrupted the uninstaller (msi extensions). I had to hack
these entries out of the firewall, reinstall the firewall to get the
unistaller reset and then remove the firewall. Once this was completed,
I cleaned the registry entries again (no hooks this time) and forced a
re-detect of the NIC and used new-er drivers for the Pro 100/VE.

Once this was done, the NIC was able to get outside of 127.0.0.1.

-Roy

On 1/3/11 3:37 PM, Roy Vestal wrote:
>  Hey guys,
>  Have a Windows XP Home problem I'm trying to fix for our pastor. I'm
> not as familiar with XP Home as I am with XP Pro and need some
> suggestions on repairing the network issues (please no "Install Linux"
> type answers).
>
> Please email me offline if you have any suggestions.
>
> Here's the scoop:
>
> - Dell Dimension 3000
> - Intel Pro100VE
> - Windows XP Home SP3
>
> Gets an address/subnet/GW/DNS via DHCP, but cannot ping gateway, or
> DNS server. I connected my laptop to the same cable and am able to get
> out to the net (google, yahoo).
>
> I replaced the NIC with a known good Intel Pro 100 and the same thing
> happens with it. I updated it with SP3 (was at SP2). Same issue.
>
> ideas?
>
> TIA,
> Roy

> Roy Vestal
> http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net
>   .-.
>   /v\    L   I   N   U   X
>  // \\>Phear the Penguin<
> /(   )\
>  ^^-^^
> "I sense much NT in you, NT leads to Blue Screen.  Blue Screen leads
> to downtime, downtime leads to suffering. NT is the path to the
> darkside."   - Unknown Unix Jedi

Roy Vestal
http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net

   .-.