[TriLUG] your favorite lowish cost thin laptop

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Mon Jan 17 11:08:39 EST 2011

I didn't catch that the dell v130 that ships with ubuntu had 2 cores,
but here it is right under my nose

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/vostro-v130/pd (click on 'Tech Specs')

I'm a little disappointed that I can't choose the linux laptop, and
upgrade from a Celeron to an i3, but I suppose being able to purchase
linux from a hardware manufacturer is a plus.

To better compare what I have with what I'm looking at on manufacturer
sites, is there a map between /proc/cpuinfo's "model" and "model name"
and "stepping" values, with what marketing names are out there? cpuid
also reports some puzzling output ('Pentium Pro'? Really?) I've got a
little 'Centrino duo' badge, but I've got no idea what that really
means.

Here's to hoping that all the new i3/i5/i7 cpus push the price down on
all the old stuff!

Mark