[TriLUG] looking for resume writer/improver

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jan 24 08:19:23 EST 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, Maxwell Spangler wrote:

> So now I try to spread the word that the hiring process is
> "broken."

I had dinner at a friend's place once with a guy who ran a
placement service. I started with my littany of problems I'd
seen with the hiring process. He waved his hand, stopping me
in mid sentence, quite cheerfully admitting that the process
didn't work, and that the people placed usually weren't the
best for the job. To do that, he'd have to personally know
all the workers in town, whether looking for a job or not,
and all the companies and the managers. Presumably to do
this, he'd need to go to all the meetings that people like
Alan Porter and Jim Ray speak at and get to know everyone in
the audience.

He said his job was to get companies what they asked for. He
had no illusions that this was good, ideal, or worked well.
It gave him a comfortable living.

Joe