[TriLUG] looking for resume writer/improver

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Mon Jan 24 12:52:25 EST 2011

Earlier this morning I wanted to respond and comment on a few things
mentioned in this thread.  I was having technical difficulties due to
insufficient coffee at the time and gave up.  My apologies to those whom I
am going to refer without quoting.

1) I agree that the hiring process is fundamentally "broken."  I think
that the move towards online applications has had a lot to do with it.  I
also think this is fed by sources such as Monster and Indeed, especially
where you file a resume and click to apply to various jobs.  In turn
companies turn to recruiting firms to try and filter through this, adding
one more layer in the process that seems to be more trouble than benefit
in most cases.

2) I recently (about 4 months ago) found a new job after about 1.5 years
of looking.  While I was fortunate to be employed during that time, the
conditions both personal and professional were miserable.  I have learned
in subsequent conversations with those that interviewed me that they were
looking for someone who possessed skills that would allow them to learn to
do the job required, but not someone who had been doing the job.

3) During the interview process, one of the big questions asked was "how
long do you think you would stay at this job?"  This was a rather
unexpected question, to which I responded by pointing out how I am plugged
into the community.  One of the things that I mentioned was being a member
of Trilug.  This received positive recognition and acknowledgment from a
couple of my interviewers (it was a panel interview).

4) Personally, I find that you often times get a complete lack of response
and the automated form "Dear John" letters to be a despicable practices.
I am sorry, but just because you want to hire for some position does not
absolve you of common courtesy or make you so #$!^($@$ high and mighty
that you should be acting in this way.  There are companies that I won't
deal with or even consider for business opportunities because of the way I
have been treated as an applicant.