[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Feb 1 08:56:43 EST 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, David A. Cafaro wrote:

> In the end it was agreed that, though a pain, the benefits
> are worth it, primarily for the donation of space and
> bandwidth we receive.  Anything we can do, like being tax
> deductible, that makes it easier for companies to provide
> donations to us is a good thing.

I was the treasurer of NCSA (the local SysAdmin group) for
about 3 yrs and converted the books to auditable double
entry accounting, in preparation for a possible move to
501(c)(3).

Accountants and people (businesses) with money recognize a
501(c)(3) as a legitimate organisation - we're just like
them; we keep records and we're accountable to the State for
any money/assets we have/receive. That's just about all a
business needs to know about us. The accountant gives us
$1000 and the boss doesn't have to spend the rest of the
year wondering if the money is being abused - he knows that
the State will come after us if we do and he can forget
about (worrying about) us.

Otherwise to get money, the people who run TriLUG have to be
known and checked out by the benefactors and this has to be
done for every donation.

I couldn't convince the SC at NCSA to change to 501(c)(3).
At the time the original founders of NCSA, who had formed
the core of the SC and found all the presenters, had left
and the people remaining didn't have the public
personalities of the founders. This left NCSA a lower key
organisation and it was hard for a couple of years to find
people for the SC, presenters, and to find meeting places. I
wasn't going to be surprised if NCSA disbanded. NCSA still
goes on, so I assume the decision not to incorporate worked
out OK. NCSA is smaller that TriLUG and presumably has a
smaller budget. The local python/zope group ZPUG is also a
small group. They meet at the work place of one of the
members and (AFAIK) have no money to manage. The ZPUG
mailing list and webpage I expect is handled personally by
one of the members.

For a while, I belonged to the Raleigh Astronomy Club (RAC).
Members come from all professions and enough members eat
accounting and lawyering for breakfast, that incorporating
as a 501(c)(3) was a no-brainer. RAC has minimal problems
getting meeting space (they meet at the museum in Raleigh),
finding places to observe (and camp) for a weekend, and
appearing as an upstanding member of the local community at
festivals and community events.

The issue then is not whether to be a 501(c)(3), but how big
(or small) does TriLUG want to be. How big means how much
non-personal resources (money, rackspace and hardware,
meeting space) does TriLUG want to control/have access to.

It would appear that TriLUG is on the borderline in chosing
which way to go. A regular business (or a club like RAC) has
employees who like accounting and lawyering and who can
maintain the legal framework for their business. In contrast
TriLUG is 100% techies, with no in-group expertise in
accounting or lawyering. To be a 501(c)(3) TriLUG will have
to pay for the legal/accounting advice that's available for
free at RAC. Hence TriLUG will have to be bigger than RAC to
convert (stay) as a 501(c)(3).

I assume that TriLUG doesn't have free ($) access to people
with lawyering/accounting skills (eg spouses, siblings,
boy/girlfriends) otherwise I would have heard about it
already. Can organisations like tux.org, EFF... handle it
for us (presumably for less $ than a regular lawyer)?

So the question then is how big is TriLUG and how big does
TriLUG want to be? How big in this context means "what's our
budget (annual income, annual expenses, assets)?" As well,
what are these numbers through the years - is TriLUG going
up/down, where does money typically come from - who gets it
- are there a small number of hand shakers and back slappers
who shake out the money, get/find the resources? If these
small number of people disappear from TriLUG, will there be
people to replace them or will TriLUG wither? I don't come
to meetings much, so I don't know the answers to these
questions. I assume since TriLUG asked members to contribute
$ for pizza at meetings, that we're not particularly flush.
If we're a 501(c)(3) the financial information has to be
public and given to members in an annual report. I assume
even if we're a DBA the information has to be freely
available.

So how big is TriLUG?

Joe