[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Feb 1 10:45:14 EST 2011

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Aaron Joyner wrote:

> The process for setting up the 501(c)(3)exception is
> relatively straight forward, I believe just one form 1023,
> and an application fee of $400 (assuming we do less than
> $10k of receipts in a year):
> http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=96109,00.html

When I looked into it, there were a couple of years on
training wheels when you had to submit enough documentation
to show that you were following the rules for a 501(c)(3).
After probation, the requirements dropped significantly.

> To me, it seems like a few hours of work by one member of
> the SC, or even a regular TriLUG member with good reading
> comprehension skills,

it's not just comprehension, it's comprehension of legalese.
Few can do this, if the number of people who have someone
else file their taxes is any indication (it's about 70%). I
don't do my own taxes anymore.

I expect if someone can setup the framework (eg a wiki) to
follow, then almost anyone can maintain it. So maybe the
problem is setting up the framework.

Joe