[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Feb 1 11:48:34 EST 2011

Forgive me Joseph, but I disagree.  The IRS is often painted as a very
difficult and dangerous organization, but in reality it's just not.
As long as you're not doing anything shady, they're really quite
helpful and friendly folks who, when it comes down to it, work for
you, the tax payer.  There's even an explicit offer of help for
charitable organizations such as ours, with a toll-free number and
mailing address:
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=138838,00.html

I attempted to find any basis for your assertion that there is some
initial reporting requirement, but I can find none.  Would you please
cite your source?  The IRS doesn't mention anything about such a
requirement in the lifecycle of a public charity, nor does it
explicitly mention any years where a 990-N might not be sufficient.
This is one case where the legalese of the IRS is actually helpful.
They're very precise about noting that type of exception, and I would
expect to see it on this page, if it existed:
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html

It sounds like we need to:
1) have someone from the "Pro" side volunteer to do the necessary
paperwork to setup the 501(c)(3)
2) have that person document the ongoing requirements that would be
imposed upon the SC
3) weigh the pros and cons with that information
4) put that to a vote at the meeting

matt at noway2.thruhere.net, would you be interested in tackling (1) and
(2) with the basics I laid out above, and writing up something
marginally more formal (such as a wiki doc)?  I'm glad to help vet the
plan myself, and will put out a feeler to see if I can find a pro bono
tax professional for a final audit, if necessary.

Aaron S. Joyner