[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

David M. turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:38:15 EST 2011

The only think I think I can offer to this thread is that my model railroad
club is 501(c)(3) as an educational non-profit.  At our monthly meetings we
share tips and tricks, give presentations to each other about trains, model
railroading and the hobby in general.  When we host model train shows, we
educate the public (or other clubs' members) through clinic presentations.
We document these things as proof of our educational aspect.  We've probably
never had more than $3000 sitting around in our account for very long at
all.  We do have to hold insurance since we host model train shows in public
facilities.  Anyone see a direct correlation here to most of this?  I guess
what I'm saying is I see TriLUG has the potential as an educational
non-profit if a decision is made to go that route.  It would be easy to
defend with logged minutes or just the agenda from each meeting, whatever
meets the requirements of documentation for a 501(c)(3).  Well, that's my 2
cents.
David