[TriLUG] Upcoming vote on TriLUG non-profit status

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Feb 3 17:43:08 EST 2011

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Jeff Schornick wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 15:06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack at wm7d.net> wrote:
>> including the hardware?
>
> The hardware is from before my time, but my understanding
> is that the two servers which TriLUG uses are either on
> permanent loan or actual TriLUG assets.  Another member
> will need to provide the historical details.

If the server is old enough that no-one remembers its
arrival, then it's probably worth near $0.

> There is a potential concern that if the hardware was
> donated to the corporation, it may need to be
> re-distributed per certain rules if that corporation is
> dissolved.

I was in a 501(c)(3) ham radio club in VA about 25yrs ago.
Because of the bookkeeping rules for a 501(c)(3), there was
no club property. The annual bookkeeping to track something
like a server worth $0, the requirements to prove you
weren't self dealing (hiding something for personal use as
club property) and the problems of getting something worth
$0 off the books when you wanted to get rid of it, were more
than anyone was prepared to deal with. So all the gear was
owned by someone and not on the club's books. There were no
assets on the club's books.

However being a 501(c)(3) we got to participate in community
events, eg do the comms for weekend 100mile horse and human
races through the mountains of VA. That was a lot of fun.
You got to bring all your gear away for a weekend and sit at
a checkpoint or on top of some mountain surrounded by
forest.

Joe