[TriLUG] OT: TWC pushing anti-consumer broadband bill

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 11:31:01 EST 2011

Just when you thought your broadband future was safe, Time Warner Cable
is back and pushing its anti-consumer broadband bill through the North
Carolina General Assembly.

This year's bill, H129/S87, will block cities from providing their
municipal Internet services, essentially locking up the market for
companies like Time Warner Cable. While China now has more homes wired
for fiber Internet, here in North Carolina we are stuck with outdated
broadband service. We're even behind most of *America*, ranking 41st of
the 50 states for broadband access (well, except for our neighbors in
Wilson and Salisbury - they have fiber Internet).

This bill will also kill any chances that Google will build a fiber
network anywhere in North Carolina, by the way.

If you'd like to do something about this sorry state of affairs, you can
sign the online petition:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ncbetterbroadband/

Also, you are invited to attend the House's Public Utilities Committee
meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) at noon in room 643 of the Legislative
Office Building, 300 N. Salisbury St, in Raleigh (dress: business casual):

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Committees/Committees.asp?sAction=ViewCommittee&sActionDetails=House%20Standing_40

Thanks for your support!

Mark
Bring Google Fiber to Raleigh! Facebook Group