[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Mark Turner jmarkturner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:28:29 EDT 2011

Hello TriLUGers,

Just yesterday, AT&T announced it would immediately cap it's U-Verse
users at 250 GB per month. Anyone going over that cap (NetFlix users,
for instance), will be socked with overage fees.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Exclusive-ATT-To-Impose-150GB-DSL-Cap-Overages-113149

This is what you can expect if H.129 passes and broadband competition is
eliminated in North Carolina. You can COUNT on it!

As I stated in my Friday note, a lot of outrageous behavior took place
Friday between the telco lobbyists and Rep. Avila. Basically, the
"negotiation" that was supposed to take place was entirely one-sided in
the favor of the telcos. In essence, there was no negotiation. Rep.
Julia "My Word Is My Bond" Howard's word has proven to be worthless.

The bill will be heard at Thursday's Finance Committee meeting. I'm told
NO PUBLIC COMMENT WILL BE HEARD, so we'll just have to make our opinions
heard otherwise. CALL YOUR FINANCE COMMITTEE MEMBERS NOW! And if you
attend Thursday's meeting, please wear RED to show your opposition to
this bill.

Also, Rep. Avila's just sent a skewed report to other representatives
with logic holes big enough to drive a truck through (though I remind
you that the Internet is not a big truck). Normally I would ignore such
tripe as this, but as many legislators may read it, PLEASE COMMENT ON
IT! Go ahead: rip it apart as the sham that it is:

http://www.innovationpolicy.org/fat-pipe-dreams-in-north-carolina

If you can make it to Thursday morning's meeting, please do. In the
meantime, call the Finance members NOW and tell others to as well.

Finance Committee:
http://is.gd/ncgafinance

Broadband Petition:
http://is.gd/ncbetterbroadband

Thanks and hope to see you Thursday!

Mark Turner

P.S. Have you made your phone calls yet?