[TriLUG] Ask TriLUG: Best Tax Filing Software?

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Mon Mar 14 13:55:31 EDT 2011

I also left the 1040EZ behind a long time ago.  I've dealt with
self-employment (for two people on 3 different jobs), capital
gains/losses, partial year state taxes, moving expenses, 401(k) -> IRA
conversions, investments with part of the income being exempt from state
taxes, and charitable contributions.  This year I get to deal with
mortgage interest for the first time.  Every year is an interesting
financial snapshot of one's life and activities.

I'm also not a genius.  To repeat what I said earlier, it isn't
particularly difficult; you just have to be aware of your financial
situation, aware of your life situations, pay attention to how those are
treated in the 1040 instructions and Publication 17, and work things
through carefully.

Or you can trust <insert tax software here> to do it for you correctly.
As I said before, I still don't trust other people's software :-)

William Sutton