[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

Justis Peters jtrilug at indythinker.com
Tue Mar 15 14:19:24 EDT 2011

On 03/15/2011 01:47 PM, Mark Turner wrote:
> For all practical purposes, the capacity of fiber optics is unlimited.
> These systems could easily serve citizens for over 100 years. They
> will certainly outlast the roads they're next to.
I largely disagree with this statement. Both the demand for bandwidth
and the innovation around networking technologies are accelerating at an
amazing pace. Not all fiber is created equal and tomorrow's tech may
completely outshine today's tech.

The rapid acceleration of demand and innovation is exactly why we need
multiple players involved. This means both public and private. If
nothing else, existing networking tech requires the use of easements
that are already a strange combination of public and private land.

Kind regards,
Justis