[TriLUG] OT: URGENT: H.129 to be heard in Thursday's Finance Committee!

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 04:41:08 EDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Lance A. Brown <lance at bearcircle.net>wrote:

> David Hostetler said the following on 3/15/2011 4:43 PM:
> > "Again, it's all fully vetted. It's run like a business because it IS a
> > business. Does that make sense?"
> >
> > Yes it does.  So long as it is run like a business, adheres to the same
> > rules and comes up with it's own pool of capital, I'm all for it.
>
> And yet, you support a bill that will put roadblocks in front of other
> municipalities that might want to pursue similar action for their
> constituents.

Lance, this bill creates no roadblocks for any municipality which wants to
create
a city-owned broadband service for its citizens and run it like an
ethical, for-profit
business, or even to run it like a legitimate non-profit.  It prevents
anti-competitive,
monopolistic misbehavior by municipalities, which is right.

Dave