[TriLUG] Want to Participate in World IPv6 Day?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Mar 31 11:06:48 EDT 2011

> Perhaps most importantly, NAT reinforces the decentralized"
> / "channel" world view that those at <insert ISP or media
> company> would like to support

I would like to underscore this comment.

With NAT being so pervasive, the only services you will see are
centralized ones that connect to some coordinating body on the
internet (and they will be subscription services).

That is, you will not talk VOIP directly from your computer to
your friend's computer.  You will both use Skype.  And for the
tinfoil hats out there, that means Skype holds the keys to your
privacy.

That means that you will not IM directly from you to your peers.
You will go through an intermediary, like Yahoo IM.  Again,
Yahoo holds your IM logs for their own purposes: marketing, and
maybe even allowing third party inspection.

Even your humble oven is subject to the NAT trap.  Rather than
pointing your browser directly to oven.home.alanporter.com, you
will have to go through the oven server -- which may or may not
still be in business.

I am looking forward to the day when our communications is more
peer-to-peer and less hub-oriented.  Imagine how this would change
the dynamics of Libya or Egypt or Tunisia.  In a world where nearly
everything is peer-to-peer, it becomes much harder to block the
voice of the people by simply blocking Twitter and Facebook.

IPv6++

Alan

.