[TriLUG] VPN and Proxy Services

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Mar 31 11:31:34 EDT 2011

>> Perhaps most importantly, NAT reinforces the decentralized"
>> / "channel" world view that those at <insert ISP or media
>> company> would like to support
>
> I would like to underscore this comment.
>
> With NAT being so pervasive, the only services you will see are
> centralized ones that connect to some coordinating body on the
> internet (and they will be subscription services).
>
> that means Skype holds the keys to your > privacy ...
>
> Yahoo holds your IM logs for their own purposes: marketing, and
> maybe even allowing third party inspection ...

This brings up a tin-foil hat question that came up recently and I have
been wondering about: anonymous internet access and email.  As I have TWC
Bus Class with static IPs the IPs and domains, etc are even more traceable
than the average dynamic residential account.  While this doesn't really
bother me, I would rather have the choice of not having my connections
easily traced back to my house.  I have looked at a few proxy services and
looked at their terms of service.  Most of them pretty much all say, "we
guarantee your anonymity unless .... we believe we need to provide this
information to comply with ... insert agency or jurisdiction of choice, in
which case we will give them total records of your doings.  Often times,
these conditions don't even require a legal warrant or writ, but amount to
a complaint.  In my mind, this defeats the purpose.  I have played around
with TOR, but it is awfully slow, which is why I was looking at paid
services.

Are there any proxy or VPN services that do not keep records for both your
and their benefit or are in an area that would simply thumb its nose at
the USA?