[TriLUG] Want to Participate in World IPv6 Day?

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Thu Mar 31 12:11:26 EDT 2011

NAT is not the only problem that stands in front of this goal though.
The biggest issue is that your ISP can control and shape your traffic.
The internet is a giant network that is fault tolerant to a ridiculous
degree. Take out some backbone providers and your packets will still
find a way (though slower) to their destination. This attribute is
completely absent from the last mile. You typically cannot peer with
your neighbors, and if your ISP cuts your wire/fiber you have zero
connectivity.

Maybe peering with your neighbors is the solution, but I sure wouldn't
want to get a DMCA violation notice for the torrent that Timmy down
the street happened to download through my connection. Otherwise, the
first step might be as simple as creating wireless routers that are
able to bridge wireless LAN's in dense neighborhoods.

Igor