[TriLUG] Routing question

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Apr 14 08:52:10 EDT 2011

I suspect that this is fairly easily solved, but I can't seem to get my head around this.

I sometimes want to connect to a VPN from one of my machines ( usually a laptop ) while at, for instance, Panera's.  Unfortunately, perhaps, the remote LAN uses 192.168 addresses, which sometimes conflict with the "home" address range given to the laptop.

I am using PPTP from the laptop, and as long as the address ranges don't conflict, everything is fine.

I tried setting a "Local IP" address on the PPP connection, and that seemed to work, at least as far as the address of that port was concerned.  Unfortunately, of course, I still didn't understand how to set up the routing for that path, because, for instance, there is a machine local to the laptop that has the address 192.168.1.123 while one of the machines that I want to access on the remote LAN has the address 192.168.1.123.

I don't think that I can reset the default route so that ALL of the traffic goes through the tunnel -- Internet traffic, for instance, would still travel through the "local" network, not the remote one.

Knowing this group, I am sure that there are several someones who know exactly how to cure this problem.

Help?

Thanks,
Brian