[TriLUG] Routing question

Ryan Leathers rleathers at americanri.com
Thu Apr 14 09:45:51 EDT 2011

If the whole world used IPv6 you'd be set. You could do your part in
getting there by setting up IPv6 on the networks within your control.

Another possibility is to use some portion of the RFC1918 address space
on your private networks that is less likely to be in conflict. I find
that things in the class B allocation (172.16.0.0/12) are less often
used, so if you are not ready to make the leap to IPv6 then pick an
address space from this range for your private networks and you will
tend to avoid the problem you described.

Lastly, rely on 'order of specificity' in routing tables. Routing tables
always look for the most specific route to a destination. This means
that when we subnet we can have (EXAMPLE) one route to 192.168.1.0/24
and another route to 192.168.1.64/26. Both will work, but the hosts
.65-.126 will be reachable via whatever their next hop is while the rest
of the host addresses from 192.168.1.0 are avilable via a different next
hop. The more specific route always trumps a less specific one. Make
sense? Now be careful with this because certain dynamic routing
protocols don't like you to route subnets this way.