[TriLUG] Ubuntu 11.04 Release Party, April 28, Chapel Hill

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sun Apr 17 16:41:11 EDT 2011

> On 04/17/2011 01:03 PM, John Broome wrote:
>> On 04/15/2011 11:10 AM, Bill Farrow wrote:
>>> Hey TriLUGers,
>>> It's April, which means another Ubuntu Release, which also means a
>>> release party !  Come and socialize with other Linux enthusiasts
>>> outside of a formal meeting.
>>
>> People still do this?
>
> Any excuse to party, right?
On a more serious note, what is everybody's take on the new Ubuntu concept
with the departure from a standard Gnome based desktop?  If you are an
Ubuntu user, do you plan to stay with it or go to something else as a
result?

I personally have been using Ubuntu for several years, but have been
moving away from it.  This is a little complicated by the fact that my
wife also uses it and is "comfortable" with it (she couldn't navigate my
KDE based installation of Slackware).  My complaint with the new Ubuntu
display is how it makes everything into icons with the panel on the
desktop.  I don't really have any intentions to upgrade any of my existing
installations.  I guess at some point I will switch, but I am not sure to
what exactly.

I also have a couple of server distributions that I now rely on.  One of
them is still running Karmic, which is now or will soon be EOL.  Again, I
question do I switch and if I do, what would be the best way to minimize
my "down" time.