[TriLUG] kdump

Andrew Blum ajblumx at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 23:39:35 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 19:40 -0600, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> If so, would you please tell me how you use it and a little about your
> Linux environment?

kdump is essential (from a support perspective) if you plan on any sort
of RCA (root cause analysis) from a post-mortem point of view.

There is very little memory footprint required and it can go a long way.

I'm a big fan of kdump, but I can say, from experience, that there are
hardware crashes that put the software in such a state that kdump is
impossible.  So, use at a discretion that makes sense.

Regards,
--
Andrew

gpg: BEB0 CCA6 3D24 B669 4EB2  81E5 502D FAA1 9512 5A53