[TriLUG] PHP Compile Warning

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sat Apr 30 06:18:09 EDT 2011

On 04/30/2011 01:07 AM, Vaibhav Mishra wrote:
> Thanks Cristóbal for your reply and time.
>
> My need is to use 5.3.5.
>

>    1. is it possible by RPM? Because when I run yum install php on my rhel
>    5.6 box, it tells me you have latest PHP (that is 5.1.x) is already
>    installed.
>    2. is it possible to install 5.3.5 via RPM and it will compile/confgure
>    with all the option which I mentioned in my previous post?
>    3. If answer to above points are YES, could you please point the RPM
>    link.
>
> Take care....
> VM
>
> 2011/4/30 Cristóbal Palmer <cmp at cmpalmer.org>

Try this article for how to rollback and force older applications using
RPM: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7034
I haven't used an RPM based distribution in a long time, so I can't
confirm the instructions, but the article is from a reputable source and
looks comprehensive.

If you are still facing compiling from source and having trouble
locating dependencies that you know are installed, my guess is that the
configure script is hard coded to look in the wrong place, e.g.
/usr/local/ while your default prefix installed them to /usr.  This
actually is one of the things to look at as most systems uses /usr while
the default sources use /usr/local (look for a configure option).
Sometimes there is a switch option to tell it explicitly where you can
find the dependencies.  If not, you may be able to hack the configure
script to tell it directly where they are.

Lastly, see if there is a configure option that specifies to use your
distributions layout.  A lot of times this can make a lot of trouble go
away.