[TriLUG] Macbook Curious

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Mon May 16 15:35:24 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Reginald Reed <reginald.reed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally think that the hardware is, in general, better put together,
> even if the specs aren't the best.  I have a first generation Core Duo
> Macbook from June 2006 and it's still going strong.   The plastic is/was

My wife has a 2006 era MacBook and it is still going strong.  The
battery firmware had a bug, Apple replaced the battery under warranty,
and I have upgraded the HDD just to hold more digital photos.  After
the last major OS X upgrade (Snow Leopard), Apple improved their
compiler or something, and the MacBook actually ran faster that it did
originally.

The MacBook just works (TM).  Close the lid and it goes to sleep, open
the lid and it is ready to go in a second or two - really fast.

As for tax software, H&R Block comes with both Win and Mac versions on
the same CDROM.

Every time I touch a Win 7 laptop I am disappointed at all the little
things, like boot times,  weekly updates and patches,  pre-installed
crap-ware, malware, anti-virus bog etc.  It leaves you feeling icky.
We know better than that !

Bill