[TriLUG] TriLUG Digest, Vol 1346, Issue 1

Hank Montgomery hank at k4hm.net
Fri Jun 10 09:55:48 EDT 2011

In January of '78, at the tender age of 32, I purchased one of the very
first TRS-80 Mod I units from a high school student who got one for Xmas
and didn't want it.  Disk drives were not yet available, there was only
a cassette tape interface.

About a year later Tandy marketed an "Expansion Interface" which allowed
connection of several SSSD (single sided single density) floppy disk
drives.  These drives only provided about 86K of storage including the
master directory tracks,  leaving the user with slightly less usable
storage (as I remember - it was just under 80K).

The early drives were error prone and there were several expensive (to
my budget) disk recovery programs available.  At the time, I was
teaching myself to program in Z80 machine code (prior to having an
assembler) and I tackled writing a disk sector read/edit/write program.
In the local TRS User group, it was one of two programs I wrote that
proved worthwhile - the other was for ham radio -  a cassette port
interface to the model 15 and 19 teletype machines supporting conversion
between BAUDOT <-> ASCII, and simultaneous keyboard and display
operation - before any O/S supported multi-tasking.

Those WERE the good old days.

K4HM - Hank