[TriLUG] Asterisk calls dropping after a few minutes

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Aug 5 10:49:38 EDT 2011

When in doubt, I've found it most helpful to just peek under the hood.
 Fire up tcpdump on the external interface of the asterisk server,
listening on port 5060, and printing out the packets in ascii.  A
command like this one should do the trick nicely:
$ sudo tcudmp -As 1600 -i ethN port 5060

Where 'ethN' is the ethernet interface between your asterisk server
and the SIP provider.  I'd bet good money that the problem is an
interaction between asterisk and that provider, rather than asterisk
and the phones.  You should then be able to scan the output to see
what issues the tear down of the connection.  If it's not clear, feel
free to sanitize the output (it will contain your SIP username and
password) and post it to the list and I or someone else can take a
look.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner