[TriLUG] Asterisk calls dropping after a few minutes

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Aug 5 14:59:01 EDT 2011

What is the firewall in front of it?  Does it have ALG voice helper
stuff available and turned on?  Usually when you see voip calls drop
after a specific time, it's firewall related.  I have a hard time
believing blowing into the mic is really doing anything.  I would more
likely suspect codec negotiation problems, that's delaying audio.

Codec issues you can see in the asterisk logs, you may have to turn
debugging up. Make sure you don't leave it up as it can be verbose and
fill up disk space fast.  Finally I would suggest tcpdumping the call.
Wireshark does a really good job at being able to look at voice captures
and you should be able to see a call flow within wireshark that would
maybe show you where the call is terminating.  Depending on your
firewall I tcpdump from the asterisk box and the firewall if possible.

Matt P.