[TriLUG] Asterisk calls dropping after a few minutes

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 20:55:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Matt Pusateri <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com>wrote:

> What is the firewall in front of it?  Does it have ALG voice helper stuff
> available and turned on?  Usually when you see voip calls drop after a
> specific time, it's firewall related.  I have a hard time believing blowing
> into the mic is really doing anything.  I would more likely suspect codec
> negotiation problems, that's delaying audio.
>
> Codec issues you can see in the asterisk logs, you may have to turn
> debugging up. Make sure you don't leave it up as it can be verbose and fill
> up disk space fast.  Finally I would suggest tcpdumping the call.  Wireshark
> does a really good job at being able to look at voice captures and you
> should be able to see a call flow within wireshark that would maybe show you
> where the call is terminating.  Depending on your firewall I tcpdump from
> the asterisk box and the firewall if possible.
>
> Matt P.

The blowing in the mic is unrelated to the call dropping, I'm sure.  The
call dropping wasn't happening a few months ago, but the codec negotiation
(if that's what it is) was.

I've got Tomato on my WRT54GL router/gateway.  The port forwarding for the
trixbox server are:
On    Proto       Int Port    Int Address    Description
On    UDP        5060        10.2.2.13    VOIP/SIP
On    UDP        10001-20000        10.2.2.13    RTP Media ports

I've looked at the logs but don't see anything.
http://pastebin.com/9nieXXY8 is the /var/log/asterisk/full log for two calls
to the same number (A time and weather service in Northwestern Virginia).
The first I hung up, the other was cut off after only a few seconds.  The
time between connecting and cutoff seems pretty variable.  Is there another
log I should be looking at?  The other files in /var/log/asterisk are empty.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com