[TriLUG] DNS and DHCP

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Tue Aug 9 05:31:47 EDT 2011

To offer a contrary point of view, I would say go with DHCP3 and Bind9.
Here is a link to a web site that I used about 1.5 years ago to get
dynamic DNS + DHCP running on my own LAN on the first day that I install
my home LAN server:
http://lani78.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/setting-up-a-dns-for-the-local-network/

***Be sure to check out the links on the right hand side of the page.
There are pages for DHCP setup and for the dynamic linking of DHCP and
DNS ***

I literally had it up and running in less than an hour with newbie level
experience with Linux.  Machines will receive a DHCP assigned address,
which is automatically updated in the DNS for both forward and reverse
lookups.  I have since extended it to two LAN servers and have
redundant-fail over DHCP and DNS so that I can take one machine off line
for maintenance, reboots, or whatever and not even notice.  I also use
the DNS server as my primary DNS resolver rather than relying on TWC's
(which always seems to be what would go down and fail on their end).