[TriLUG] DNS and DHCP

Jonathan Woodbury jonathan at mybox.org
Mon Aug 8 23:26:04 EDT 2011

DNSMasq probably is the way to go.  But it is worth also knowing about
multicast DNS.  If you're running Apple's bonjour on Mac or Windows or the
avahi-daemon on Linux (standard equipment with Ubuntu), you can probably
already resolve your hosts at home by appending .local to their host names.
 For example:

jpwoodbu at chapman:~$ ping fry.local -c 1
PING fry.local (10.0.6.185) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from fry.local (10.0.6.185): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.794 ms

jpwoodbu at chapman:~$ ping mahler.local -c 1
PING mahler.local (10.0.6.182) 56(84) bytes of data.

Fry is one of my Linux systems and mahler is running Windows 7 with iTunes
(and therefore Bonjour) installed.  Neither of those hosts have A records in
any local DNS zones.  Although they both have AAAA records in public DNS. ;)

Jonathan