[TriLUG] OT: IP subnetting question

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Wed Aug 10 11:18:15 EDT 2011

On 08/10/2011 10:45 AM, Brian Henning wrote:
> I'm all for future planning, but seriously, when will it become painful?

About the time the need for IPv6 comes along and you don't have access
or knowledge. Take the time now to get the pieces in place and learn how
to most effectively leverage them. Sure, you can do an IPv6 rollout in
"last minute panic" mode, but noone *wants* to do that.

You said your VPN equipment doesn't support it. Imagine how much easier
it will be to test new equipment from your vendor if you already have
the network in place.

You are correct in that IPv4 will continue for quite awhile, but we can
use that time to become prepared and secure a bright future for the
Internet as a whole.

-- Kevin