[TriLUG] OT: IP subnetting question

Jonathan Woodbury jonathan at mybox.org
Wed Aug 10 11:03:31 EDT 2011

Peer to peer traffic would concern me first.  It won't be long before some
places in the world won't have IPv4 addresses to hand out.  APNIC only has
about 75,000 IPv4 addresses left.  While peer to peer traffic is probably a
small percentage of the traffic that the typical user enjoys, it will be
painful to make it work, if not often impossible, between two peers not on
the same protocol.

I suspect that some real time audio/video chat services that might tend to
send all traffic through a central "provider" might prefer to make this
traffic peer to peer.  It's cheaper for them and would make for a better
user experience.

I'll admit that people without IPv6 aren't going to need it for the majority
of the things they do in the near future.  But when there's that one thing
you can't do or is just a little more difficult than it should be because
you don't have IPv6, it'll be just a little painful.  And it'll only get
worse.

And besides, IPv6 isn't just a bigger Internet, it's a better Internet.