[TriLUG] Redhat is Moving

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Sun Aug 28 18:27:59 EDT 2011

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011, Alan Porter wrote:
>> How bout waiting until the SC talks to our people at RH
>> before you consider trilug to be homeless and out on the street
> More importantly, I am interested in where the members would like
> to meet.  We had a question about that in the recent poll.  I
> know that our center of mass is a little closer to RTP and that
> some folks in Durham / Chapel Hill / Carrboro felt like Centennial
> Campus was on the fringes.  I suspect that many will not be happy
> with moving even farther east.

For me, living in Raleigh, it's at last as far is not a touch farther to go
downtown. And of course parking will be a hassle, even if it is free (BIG
if). And honestly not sure if it'll be as safe as Centennial campus.

OTOH, if it gives moved outside of Raleigh at all I'm less inclined to come.
And it seems like ever decent tech event in the area gets sucked into
Durham/RTP. Considering my first experience with driving into Durham
involved being LITERALLY CHASED DOWN THE STREET BY A HORDE OF BLACK
TEENAGERS THROWING ROCKS AT OUR CAR, I'm not too excited about the idea.

> I would entertain the idea of traveling meetings, as long as we
> can establish enough consistency that we don't lose people by
> having them show up at the wrong place a time or two.  THAT would
> be a serious buzzkill.

Honestly, I'd rather see just two meeting locations than a whole collection
of them. Trilug North and Trilug South? One could be downtown (assuming RH
and Progress Energy are ok with it), and the other somewhere around RDP.

We're going to see one big change regardless of that. We're going to lose a
lot of walk-in student traffic. Not all the NC State students have the
luxury of a working car, or being able to afford the gas to drive out of
town for a meeting.