[TriLUG] Class seat available

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Wed Aug 31 09:21:21 EDT 2011

On 08/30/2011 08:00 PM, David Both wrote:

> And lastly, Magnus, I offer YOU the challenge and opportunity to take my
> class in September (Probably the last one I will run this year) and pay
> me what you think it is worth at the end. And then report back to this
> group what you really think when it is over.

Here, here! At the risk of adding flame to the fire of a pithy comment:
It reminded me of several people I've known throughout the years that
did not value the work of programmers and system administrators. The
kind of person who wants to pay programmers by the number of lines
written because it's just typing after all. The kind who doesn't value
what he doesn't know and doesn't appreciate the effort that goes into
most work.

Teaching is hard and teaching well is even harder. Belittling the pay
and benefits of teachers is something that our society seems to be doing
a lot of in recent months. Not saying Magnus is like that, but the
comment definitely reminded me of such.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP