[TriLUG] Class seat available

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Wed Aug 31 12:44:34 EDT 2011

Thank you, Michael. I appreciate your comments. I agree that many people,
especially managers and executives at the companies we do or have worked for
tend to underestimate value of the work that we do as trainers and system
admins. Perhaps in part because many of them have never done it.

I don't think there was any attempt by Magnus to belittle anyone or anything. I
don't want to attribute anything to you so if you want to explain it, Magnus,
you can. But I don't even think that is necessary. Frankly, your comment did
make me think about why I charge what I do so that is a good thing.

And just to let everyone know, I did forget to mention that there is a $500
discount for TriLUG members. That is, and has been on my web site but I forgot
to mention it in the original email.

On 08/31/2011 09:21 AM, Michael Peters wrote:
> On 08/30/2011 08:00 PM, David Both wrote:
>
>> And lastly, Magnus, I offer YOU the challenge and opportunity to take my
>> class in September (Probably the last one I will run this year) and pay
>> me what you think it is worth at the end. And then report back to this
>> group what you really think when it is over.
>
> Here, here! At the risk of adding flame to the fire of a pithy comment: It
> reminded me of several people I've known throughout the years that did not
> value the work of programmers and system administrators. The kind of person
> who wants to pay programmers by the number of lines written because it's just
> typing after all. The kind who doesn't value what he doesn't know and doesn't
> appreciate the effort that goes into most work.
>
> Teaching is hard and teaching well is even harder. Belittling the pay and
> benefits of teachers is something that our society seems to be doing a lot of
> in recent months. Not saying Magnus is like that, but the comment definitely
> reminded me of such.

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both