[TriLUG] Peak10 BBQ & Beer mixer

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 15 10:07:50 EDT 2011

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Bill Farrow wrote:

> This was my first exposure to a large data center, so it
> was cool to see the redundant systems for power, cooling,
> network, etc.

They have two diesel generators. To test them, on saturday
morning they fire them up and move every piece of equipment
from Progress E to one generator and the next and back to
Progress E, all while everything is on-line and running.

For Irene they ran for 4 days on diesel because the outside
power was dirty/noisy/changing in voltage. So that the local
people wouldn't be worried about their houses etc, the local
people were sent home and a crew from Charlotte were brought
in to run the place. I thought that showed a lot of respect
for the workers. I also thought it pretty cool that the
procedures in each place were identical and a crew from
Charlotte could run the place without any familiarisation.

The last place I worked (NESC at EPA) had multiple
contractors running each piece of the machine room
(security, networking, power, job scheduling) so that you
had no idea of the global picture. For the monthly diesel
generator test, you were required to turn off your desktop
machine incase it didn't survive the hash on changeover. You
would be considered responsible if the machine was left on
and didn't survive.

Joe