[TriLUG] OT: Personal Email Vendor Selection

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Mon Sep 19 15:41:50 EDT 2011

The fact that the Google Apps for Domains users are second-rate when it
comes Google's latest and greatest technology is the reason why I have
igor at igorpartola.com simply forward all mail to ipartola at gmail.com. I then
had to tell GMail that ipartola at gmail.com is authorized to send email as
igor at igorpartola.com.

You lose an important feature: ipartola+anything at gmail.com still goes to me.
This way I could theoretically set up ipartola+trilug at gmail.com, and then
create custom filters based on the +trilug part. In fact I hear a lot of
people use that trick with various spam-prone services (think
ipartola+thegap at gmail.com, ipartola+outbacksteakhouse at gmail.com, etc). You
can't do this with just the Google Apps for Domains account (AFAIK at
least). You can have a catchall address, though, so you could simulate it.

Igor