[TriLUG] Linux clients and servers for Apple AirPlay protocol

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Fri Oct 28 10:05:04 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried using Apple AirPlay tools for Linux ?

Well, I got SharePort [1] to work on my MythTV system so my wife's
MacBook can play music with iTunes over wifi and have the audio come
out on the TV speakers via HDMI.

I still haven't worked out why pulse audio prevents connections from
applications started via ssh sessions.  It only works if I run
SharePort in a terminal open on the Xorg desktop.

Next task is to work out how to configure PulseAudio to accept network
connections via avahi (mdns) so that I can play music from my Linux
laptop to the MythTV box too.

Bill

[1] https://github.com/albertz/shairport