[TriLUG] Own your own cable modem?

William Chandler wcchandler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:37:09 EST 2011

I have a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 (
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Cable-Modems-and-Gateways/SURFboard-Cable-Modem-SB5101-US-EN
)

When I had Charter it was no big deal, I'd call them up, tell them my MAC
and be good to go.  With TWC I had to pay $50 for an "install" fee, despite
it working out of the box.  After scheduling the appointment I just called
them up and told them to cancel the service appointment as it was no longer
an issue.  That worked.  I recently moved and they're wanting to charge me
another $20 fee to "move" my service.  The problem -- it works at my new
place and has for the past month and a half.  I really just wanted my bill
to be sent to the right address.  But, whatever.  I'll just have to call
'em up and cancel it again.

I've had the modem for ~4 years with no problem.